Subject: Re: [patch net-next v2 00/10] Add support for resource abstraction

From: Jiri Pirko <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2017 14:15:31 +0100

Wed, Dec 27, 2017 at 02:08:03PM CET, [email-masked] wrote:
>> This is misunderstanding I believe. This is not about ABI. That is well
>> defined by the netlink attributes. This is about meaning of particular
>> ASIC-specific internal resources.
>
>I would agree that the netlink attributed are clearly defined. But the
>meta information, what this ASIC specific internal resource means when
>you combine these attributes, is unclear. This meta information is
>also part of the ABI, and documenting giving users a hit what it
>means, and why they should change it, would be good practice.
>
>Look at sysfs. open/read/write are clearly defined, which is the
>equivalent of the netlink attributes. The meta information we document
>in Documentation/ABI/, what a file name means, what a value means,
>what other values it can take, etc.

Hmm. That documents mainly sysfs. No mention of Netlink at all. But
maybe I missed it. Also, that defines the interface as is. However we
are talking about the data exchanged over the interface, not the
interface itself. I don't see how ASIC/HW specific thing, like for
example KVD in our case could be part of kernel ABI. That makes 0 sense
to me, sorry.