Subject: Re: [PATCH 02/31] fs: add new vfs_poll and file_can_poll helpers

From: Al Viro <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2018 19:08:53 +0000

On Thu, Jan 04, 2018 at 09:00:14AM +0100, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> These abstract out calls to the poll method in preparation for changes to
> those methods.

FWIW, I would make vfs_poll()

static inline __poll_t vfs_poll(struct file *file, struct poll_table_struct *pt)
{
	if (unlikely(!file->f_op->poll))
		return DEFAULT_POLLMASK;
	return file->f_op->poll(file, pt);
}

That's safe for any struct file, some of the callers already do just that,
the ones that have vfs_poll() under the check for file_can_poll() will
simply optimize that piece away and the few that rely upon the knowledge
of file_operations they are dealing with (vhost, etc.) can bloody well
cope with the cost of the check.

--
To unsubscribe, send a message with 'unsubscribe linux-aio' in
the body to [email-masked].  For more info on Linux AIO,
see: http://www.kvack.org/aio/
Don't email: <a href=mailto:"[email-masked]">[email-masked]</a>