Subject: Re: [PATCH RFC 0/4] net: add bpfilter

From: Harald Welte <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2018 16:38:08 +0100

Dear David,

On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 10:27:27AM -0500, David Miller wrote:
> > Would you be willing to merge nftables into kernel tools directory
> > then?
> 
> Did you miss the part where I explained that people explicitly disable
> NFTABLES in their kernel configs in most if not all large datacenters?

If people to chose to disable a certain feature, then that is their own
decision to do so.  We should respect that decision.  Clearly they seem
to have no interest in a better or more featureful packet filter, then.

I mean, it's not like somebody proposes to implement NTFS inside the FAT
filesystem kernel module because distributors (or data centers) tend to
disable the NTFS module?!

How is kernel development these days constrained by what some users may
or may not put in their Kconfig?  If they want a given feature, they
must enable it.

-- 
- Harald Welte <[email-masked]>           http://laforge.gnumonks.org/
============================================================================
"Privacy in residential applications is a desirable marketing option."
                                                  (ETSI EN 300 175-7 Ch. A6)