Subject: Re: dsa with 2 rgmii channels (1st is 2 switches & 2nd is phy)

From: Andrew Lunn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2018 15:25:38 +0100

On Fri, Mar 09, 2018 at 08:00:40AM +0000, Alayev Michael wrote:
> Hi Andrew,
> 
> You have advised me to change the compatibility to "marvell,mv88e6190".
> The problem is that my linux version is Xilinx 4.4.0 (2016.2) - it contains mv88e6xxx driver files that do not support 6190 (though they do support 6085) and the driver has slightly different file tree.
> The closest Xilinx linux version that support this driver is 4.10.
> 
> The thing is, I don't want to upgrade my linux version, just patch this driver module.
> Is it possible to do it in a simple way (windows like :) )?

To support a 6190, you need something much newer than 4.4. It does not
support the 6390 family. It took a lot of patches to make the 6390
work. 4.10 will mostly work, but the Ethernet PHYs might be broken, or
at least not use the Marvell PHY driver. And VLAN probably don't
work. But you don't want to use 4.10, it is a dead kernel, no security
fixes.

Ideally you want 4.14, which is a long term stable kernel. 

	Andrew