Subject: Re: [PATCH 00/16] remove eight obsolete architectures

From: afzal mohammed <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2018 10:20:16 +0530

Hi,

On Thu, Mar 15, 2018 at 10:56:48AM +0100, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 15, 2018 at 10:42 AM, David Howells <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > Do we have anything left that still implements NOMMU?

Please don't kill !MMU.

> Yes, plenty.

> I've made an overview of the remaining architectures for my own reference[1].
> The remaining NOMMU architectures are:
> 
> - arch/arm has ARMv7-M (Cortex-M microcontroller), which is actually
> gaining traction

ARMv7-R as well, also seems ARM is coming up with more !MMU's - v8-M,
v8-R. In addition, though only of academic interest, ARM MMU capable
platform's can run !MMU Linux.

afzal

> - arch/sh has an open-source J2 core that was added not that long ago,
> it seems to
>   be the only SH compatible core that anyone is working on.
> - arch/microblaze supports both MMU/NOMMU modes (most use an MMU)
> - arch/m68k supports several NOMMU targets, both the coldfire SoCs and the
>   classic processors
> - c6x has no MMU