Subject: Re: [patch net-next RFC 00/12] devlink: introduce port flavours and common phys_port_name generation

From: Andrew Lunn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2018 16:24:12 +0100

On Fri, Mar 23, 2018 at 03:59:35PM +0100, Jiri Pirko wrote:
> Fri, Mar 23, 2018 at 02:43:57PM CET, [email-masked] wrote:
> >> I tested this for mlxsw and nfp. I have no way to test this on DSA hw,
> >> I would really appretiate DSA guys to test this.
> >
> >Hi Jiri
> >
> >With the missing break added, i get:
> >
> >root@zii-devel-b:~# ./iproute2/devlink/devlink port 
> >mdio_bus/0.1:00/0: type eth netdev lan0 flavour physical number 0
> >mdio_bus/0.1:00/1: type eth netdev lan1 flavour physical number 1
> >mdio_bus/0.1:00/2: type eth netdev lan2 flavour physical number 2
> >mdio_bus/0.1:00/3: type notset
> >mdio_bus/0.1:00/4: type notset
> >mdio_bus/0.1:00/5: type notset flavour dsa number 5
> >mdio_bus/0.1:00/6: type notset flavour cpu number 6
> >mdio_bus/0.2:00/0: type eth netdev lan3 flavour physical number 0
> >mdio_bus/0.2:00/1: type eth netdev lan4 flavour physical number 1
> >mdio_bus/0.2:00/2: type eth netdev lan5 flavour physical number 2
> >mdio_bus/0.2:00/3: type notset
> >mdio_bus/0.2:00/4: type notset
> >mdio_bus/0.2:00/5: type notset flavour dsa number 5
> >mdio_bus/0.2:00/6: type notset flavour dsa number 6
> >mdio_bus/0.4:00/0: type eth netdev lan6 flavour physical number 0
> >mdio_bus/0.4:00/1: type eth netdev lan7 flavour physical number 1
> >mdio_bus/0.4:00/2: type eth netdev lan8 flavour physical number 2
> >mdio_bus/0.4:00/3: type eth netdev optical3 flavour physical number 3
> >mdio_bus/0.4:00/4: type eth netdev optical4 flavour physical number 4
> >mdio_bus/0.4:00/5: type notset
> >mdio_bus/0.4:00/6: type notset
> >mdio_bus/0.4:00/7: type notset
> >mdio_bus/0.4:00/8: type notset
> >mdio_bus/0.4:00/9: type notset flavour dsa number 9

> That is basically front panel number for physical ports.

You cannot make that assumption. As you can see here, we have 3 ports
with the number 0.

Look at clearfog, armada-388-clearfog.dts. port 0=lan5, port 1=lan4
port 2=lan3, port 3=lan2, port 4=lan1, port 5=cpu, port 6=lan6.

The hardware and mechanical engineer is free to wire switch ports to
the front panel however they want. That is why we put the netdev name
in device tree.

    Andrew