Subject: Re: [patch net-next RFC 00/12] devlink: introduce port flavours and common phys_port_name generation

From: Jiri Pirko <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2018 08:45:51 +0100

Fri, Mar 23, 2018 at 04:24:12PM CET, [email-masked] wrote:
>On Fri, Mar 23, 2018 at 03:59:35PM +0100, Jiri Pirko wrote:
>> Fri, Mar 23, 2018 at 02:43:57PM CET, [email-masked] wrote:
>> >> I tested this for mlxsw and nfp. I have no way to test this on DSA hw,
>> >> I would really appretiate DSA guys to test this.
>> >
>> >Hi Jiri
>> >
>> >With the missing break added, i get:
>> >
>> >root@zii-devel-b:~# ./iproute2/devlink/devlink port 
>> >mdio_bus/0.1:00/0: type eth netdev lan0 flavour physical number 0
>> >mdio_bus/0.1:00/1: type eth netdev lan1 flavour physical number 1
>> >mdio_bus/0.1:00/2: type eth netdev lan2 flavour physical number 2
>> >mdio_bus/0.1:00/3: type notset
>> >mdio_bus/0.1:00/4: type notset
>> >mdio_bus/0.1:00/5: type notset flavour dsa number 5
>> >mdio_bus/0.1:00/6: type notset flavour cpu number 6
>> >mdio_bus/0.2:00/0: type eth netdev lan3 flavour physical number 0
>> >mdio_bus/0.2:00/1: type eth netdev lan4 flavour physical number 1
>> >mdio_bus/0.2:00/2: type eth netdev lan5 flavour physical number 2
>> >mdio_bus/0.2:00/3: type notset
>> >mdio_bus/0.2:00/4: type notset
>> >mdio_bus/0.2:00/5: type notset flavour dsa number 5
>> >mdio_bus/0.2:00/6: type notset flavour dsa number 6
>> >mdio_bus/0.4:00/0: type eth netdev lan6 flavour physical number 0
>> >mdio_bus/0.4:00/1: type eth netdev lan7 flavour physical number 1
>> >mdio_bus/0.4:00/2: type eth netdev lan8 flavour physical number 2
>> >mdio_bus/0.4:00/3: type eth netdev optical3 flavour physical number 3
>> >mdio_bus/0.4:00/4: type eth netdev optical4 flavour physical number 4
>> >mdio_bus/0.4:00/5: type notset
>> >mdio_bus/0.4:00/6: type notset
>> >mdio_bus/0.4:00/7: type notset
>> >mdio_bus/0.4:00/8: type notset
>> >mdio_bus/0.4:00/9: type notset flavour dsa number 9
>
>> That is basically front panel number for physical ports.
>
>You cannot make that assumption. As you can see here, we have 3 ports
>with the number 0.
>
>Look at clearfog, armada-388-clearfog.dts. port 0=lan5, port 1=lan4
>port 2=lan3, port 3=lan2, port 4=lan1, port 5=cpu, port 6=lan6.
>
>The hardware and mechanical engineer is free to wire switch ports to
>the front panel however they want. That is why we put the netdev name
>in device tree.

Got it. Hmm, so I think that the port number can be made optional and
when it is present, it would be used to generate phys_port_name. If
not, perhaps devlink port index could be used instead.

So iiuc, you don't really need phys_port_name in dsa, as it provides
misleading names, right? Why is it implemented then?

>    Andrew