Subject: Re: [patch net-next RFC 00/12] devlink: introduce port flavours and common phys_port_name generation

From: Andrew Lunn <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2018 20:00:32 +0100

> >>>>>> >root@zii-devel-b:~# ./iproute2/devlink/devlink port 
> >>>>>> >mdio_bus/0.1:00/0: type eth netdev lan0 flavour physical number 0
> >>>>>> >mdio_bus/0.1:00/1: type eth netdev lan1 flavour physical number 1
> >>>>>> >mdio_bus/0.1:00/2: type eth netdev lan2 flavour physical number 2
> >>>>>> >mdio_bus/0.1:00/3: type notset
> >>>>>> >mdio_bus/0.1:00/4: type notset
> >>>>>> >mdio_bus/0.1:00/5: type notset flavour dsa number 5
> >>>>>> >mdio_bus/0.1:00/6: type notset flavour cpu number 6
> >>>>>> >mdio_bus/0.2:00/0: type eth netdev lan3 flavour physical number 0
> >>>>>> >mdio_bus/0.2:00/1: type eth netdev lan4 flavour physical number 1
> >>>>>> >mdio_bus/0.2:00/2: type eth netdev lan5 flavour physical number 2
> >>>>>> >mdio_bus/0.2:00/3: type notset
> >>>>>> >mdio_bus/0.2:00/4: type notset
> >>>>>> >mdio_bus/0.2:00/5: type notset flavour dsa number 5
> >>>>>> >mdio_bus/0.2:00/6: type notset flavour dsa number 6
> >>>>>> >mdio_bus/0.4:00/0: type eth netdev lan6 flavour physical number 0
> >>>>>> >mdio_bus/0.4:00/1: type eth netdev lan7 flavour physical number 1
> >>>>>> >mdio_bus/0.4:00/2: type eth netdev lan8 flavour physical number 2
> >>>>>> >mdio_bus/0.4:00/3: type eth netdev optical3 flavour physical

> >What is an appropriate attribute to use to return the physical port number within a given switch?
> 
> I don't think there's one out there. I tried to add it in this patchset.

Florian, do you need it to be unique per switch, or DSA cluster. The
current solution is clearly not unique across a cluster.

	Andrew