Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next v4 1/3] vmcore: add API to collect hardware dump in second kernel

From: Rahul Lakkireddy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2018 20:26:06 +0530

On Thursday, April 04/19/18, 2018 at 13:54:56 +0530, Greg KH wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 17, 2018 at 01:14:17PM +0530, Rahul Lakkireddy wrote:
> > +config PROC_VMCORE_DEVICE_DUMP
> > +	bool "Device Hardware/Firmware Log Collection"
> > +	depends on PROC_VMCORE
> > +	default y
> 
> Only things that require the machine to keep working should be 'default
> y', please remove this, it's an option.
> 

Ok. Will fix this.

> > +	help
> > +	  Device drivers can collect the device specific snapshot of
> > +	  their hardware or firmware before they are initialized in
> > +	  crash recovery kernel. If you say Y here, the device dumps
> > +	  will be added as ELF notes to /proc/vmcore
> 
> Which exact "device drivers" are you referring to here?
> 

The API is generic enough to collect any type of device's dump. Any
driver that wants to collect its underlying hardware/firmware dump
can use the API. In our case, cxgb4 driver collects dumps of the
underlying Chelsio network devices.

Thanks,
Rahul