Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next 00/11] Modernize mdio-gpio

From: Andrew Lunn <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2018 22:20:57 +0200

On Thu, Apr 19, 2018 at 09:52:09PM +0200, Linus Walleij wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 19, 2018 at 1:02 AM, Andrew Lunn <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> > This patchset is inspired by a previous version by Linus Walleij
> >
> > It reworks the mdio-gpio code to make use of gpio descriptors instead
> > of gpio numbers. However compared to the previous version, it retains
> > support for platform devices. It does however remove the platform_data
> > header file. The needed GPIOs are now passed by making use of a gpiod
> > lookup table. e.g:
> 
> Looks good to me, but wasn't this what Florian was NACKing?

Hi Linus

At the time, i don't think either Florian or i knew about gpiod lookup
tables. It was only when i got deep into this patchset i found them.

> I thought he was going to add some x86 MDIO using platform data,
> and then I suppose he wanted to use something more than some
> GPIO descriptors, maybe IRQ etc (who knows)?

I now have said x86 MDIO device, connecting to an Ethernet switch. It
works :-)

      Andrew