Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next 0/2] docs: net: Convert netdev-FAQ to RST

From: "Tobin C. Harding" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2018 13:28:10 +1000

On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 12:50:03PM +1000, Tobin C. Harding wrote:

Please drop this.  I've forgotten to deal with the links from
Documentation/*.rst to Documentation/networking/netdev-FAQ.txt

Since I've already botched it can I ask for guidance here.  The problem
is updating the links means making changes that will cause merge
conflicts if they go through net-dev tree (since most references are in
Documentation/*.rst).  But we can't go through docs tree either since
that could lead to merge conflicts later as well.

My idea was to leave netdev-FAQ.txt in place but with all content
removed except

  'This file has moved to netdev-FAQ.rst. This file will be removed once
  netdev RST conversion is complete'

And then do the same for each file conversion under
Documentation/networking/.  Once all the files are converted a single
patch set updating all references into Documentation/networking/*.rst
could be posted to the docs tree.

One other idea was to leave a symlink netdev-FAQ.txt -> netdev-FAQ.rst
but I don't know how that would play with the build system (docs or
otherwise).

thanks,
Tobin.