Subject: Re: [RFC 0/1] Appletalk AARP probe broken by receipt of own broadcasts.

From: Andrew Lunn <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2018 03:32:44 +0200

On Sun, Aug 19, 2018 at 01:07:38PM +1200, Craig McGeachie wrote:
> I'm hoping I can find someone able and willing to test this patch. That
> requires someone still using netatalk 2.2.x with DDP, or some other DDP
> userspace application. This feels like a longshot.
> 
> When netatalk 2.2.x starts up with DDP and sets the Appletalk node
> address, the kernel AARP code sends a probe packet for the address. It
> then receives its own probe packet and interprets that as some other
> node also trying to claim the address. It increments the address, tries
> again, and fails again ad nausium. Eventually the kernel module gives up
> and returns to netatalk which terminates with an error that it cannot
> get a node address.

Hi Craig

What Ethernet device are you seeing this problem with?

I'm not sure an Ethernet device should receive its own broadcasts.
This might be a driver bug, not an AARP bug.

     Andrew