Subject: Re: [RFC 0/1] Appletalk AARP probe broken by receipt of own broadcasts.

From: Andrew Lunn <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2018 16:41:07 +0200

> I run inside Virtualbox with the Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller.
> 
> Assuming I'm reading /sys/class/net/enp0s3/driver correctly, it's using the
> e1000 driver.

Hi Craig

Ah. And how do you connect to the network? Please run some tcpdumps
and collect packets at various points. Make sure your network setup is
not duplicating packets, in particular, any bridges you might have in
order to connect the segments together.

> However, it might not be the ethernet driver's fault. I've been a bit loose
> with terminology. Appletalk AARP probe packets aren't ethernet broadcasts as
> such; they're multicast packets, via the psnap driver, to hardware address
> 09:00:07:ff:ff:ff.

Basically, the same question applies for Multicast as for Broadcast.
I'm pretty sure the interface should not receiver the packet it
transmitted itself. But if something on the network has duplicated the
packet, it will receiver the duplicate. So before we add a filter,
lets understand where the packets are coming from.

	Andrew