Subject: Re: [PATCH] net: sched: Fix memory exposure from short TCA_U32_SEL

From: Al Viro <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2018 16:59:38 +0100

On Tue, Aug 28, 2018 at 01:03:10AM +0100, Al Viro wrote:
>                         if (tcf_exts_get_net(&n->exts))
>                                 tcf_queue_work(&n->rwork, u32_delete_key_freepf_work);
>                         else
>                                 u32_destroy_key(n->tp, n, true);
> ... and we hit u32_destroy_key(<tp>, <knode>, true), which does

Speaking of which, we'd better never hit that branch for other reasons - there's
no RCU delay between removal of knode from the hash chain and its kfree().
tcf_queue_work() does guarantee such delay (by use of queue_rcu_work()), direct
call doesn't...

Anyway, whichever branch is taken, the memory corruption problem remains - the
comments below are accurate, AFAICS.

> Incidentally, if we hit
>                                 tcf_queue_work(&n->rwork, u32_delete_key_freepf_work);
> instead of u32_destroy_key(), the things don't seem to be any better - we
> won't do anything to <knode> until rtnl is dropped, so u32_destroy() won't
> break on the second pass through the loop - it'll free <ht0> there and
> return.  Setting us up for trouble, since when u32_delete_key_freepf_work()
> finally gets to u32_destroy_key() we'll have <knode>->ht_down pointing
> to freed memory and decrementing its contents...