Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next 5/5] ebpf: Add sample ebpf program for SOCKET_SG_FILTER

From: Sowmini Varadhan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2018 19:23:48 -0400

On (09/17/18 16:15), Alexei Starovoitov wrote:
> 
> if the goal is to add firewall ability to RDS then the patch set
> is going in the wrong direction.

The goal is to add the ability to process scatterlist directly,
just like we process skb's today.

Your main objection was that you wanted a test case in selftests
that was aligned with existing tests, Tushar is working on that
patchset. Why dont we wait for that patchset before continuing
this discussion further? 

> May be the right answer is to teach rds to behave like the rest of protocols.
> Then all existing tooling and features will 'just work' ?

RDS does not need to be taught anything :-) I think KCM is modeled
on the RDS stack model. Before we "teach" rds anything, "we" need
to understand what RDS does first - google can provide lot of slide-decks
that explain the rds stack to you, suggest you look at that first. 

Meanwhile, how about waiting for Tushar's next patchset, where
you will have your selftests that are based on veth/netns
just like exising tests for XDP. vxlan etc. I strongly suggest
waiting for that.

And btw, it would have been very useful/courteous to help with 
the RFC reviews to start with.

--Sowmini