Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 net-next 07/12] net: ethernet: Add helper to remove a supported link mode

From: Andrew Lunn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2018 15:01:44 +0200

> Thanks Andrew,
> 
> it seems that removing Aysm Pause does the trick.

Great.

I will submit the patch today.

I see two possible followups:

1) Figure out why auto-neg does not complete when Pause is
advertised. Is this a problem with the local PHY or the link partner?
The Micrel we have some control over, but the link partner in the
switch we have to treat as a black box.

2) If we can get negotiation to work correctly, then implement Pause
in the MAC driver. When phylib calls the adjust_link callback
phydev->pause and phydev->asym_pause tells you want the partner can
do. You can then decide how to program the MAC. There is also a
get/set for ethtool.

It really requires somebody with the hardware to do this.

   Andrew