Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next] geneve: fix ttl inherit type

From: Phil Sutter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2018 12:56:04 +0200

Hangbin,

On Sat, Sep 29, 2018 at 05:16:05PM +0800, Hangbin Liu wrote:
[...]
> > Is it desirable to switch to a flag? If I read geneve_changelink() and
> > geneve_nl2info() correctly, it allows you to set the ttl_inherit flag
> > for an existing device but doesn't allow you to clear it. With NLA_U8,
> > you could distinguish three cases: set the flag (non-zero value), clear
> > the flag (zero value) and preserve current state (attribute not
> > present).
> 
> I re-read geneve_changelink() and I agree with you. Since we can change ttl
> number, we should also be able to set/unset ttl inherit.
> 
> Phil, what do you think?

All fine with me. I'm not familiar with either of VXLAN or Geneve,
you're the experts here. I was just the random guy wondering why things
are done one way and not the other. :)

Thanks for your diligent efforts at clearing up the mysteries!

Cheers, Phil