Subject: Re: [PATCH RFC v2 net-next 03/25] netlink: introduce NLM_F_DUMP_PROPER_HDR flag

From: Jiri Benc <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2018 13:27:55 +0200

On Tue, 2 Oct 2018 13:18:32 +0200, Christian Brauner wrote:
> I didn't find this in the linked thread.

Maybe it was suggested in another thread or in person on a conference,
I can't remember, it's too long ago, sorry.

> What I find interesting and convincing is one of Dave's points:
> 
> "I'm beginning to wonder if we can just change this unilaterally to
> not ignore unrecognized attributes.
> 
> I am increasingly certain that things that would "break" we wouldn't
> want to succeed anyways." [1]

It's unfortunate we can't do that. I'd like it.

> But a socket option or this header flag both sound acceptable to me. Was
> there any more detail on how a socket option would look like, i.e. an
> api proposal or something?

Look at how NETLINK_CAP_ACK and NETLINK_EXT_ACK is implemented.

 Jiri