Subject: [PATCH net-next v2 0/6] net: phy: mscc: various improvements to Microsemi PHY driver

From: Quentin Schulz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2018 14:47:22 +0200

The Microsemi PHYs have multiple banks of registers (called pages).
Registers can only be accessed from one page, if we need a register from
another page, we need to switch the page and the registers of all other
pages are not accessible anymore.

Basically, to read register 5 from page 0, 1, 2, etc., you do the same
phy_read(phydev, 5); but you need to set the desired page beforehand.

In order to guarantee that two concurrent functions do not change the
page, we need to do some locking per page. This can be achieved with the
use of phy_select_page and phy_restore_page functions but phy_write/read
calls in-between those two functions shall be replaced by their
lock-free alternative __phy_write/read.

The Microsemi PHYs have several counters so let's make them available as PHY
statistics.

The VSC 8530/31/40/41 also need to update their EEE init sequence in order to
avoid packet losses and improve performance.

This patch series also makes some minor cosmetic changes to the driver.

Thanks,
Quentin

v2:
  - add patch to migrate MSCC driver to use phy_restore/select_page,
  - migrate all patches from v1 to use those two functions,
  - put the multiple lines of constants writes in an array and iterate over
  it to write the values,
  - add reviewed-bys,

Quentin Schulz (4):
  net: phy: mscc: migrate to phy_select/restore_page functions
  net: phy: mscc: remove unneeded parenthesis
  net: phy: mscc: shorten `x != 0` condition to `x`
  net: phy: mscc: remove unneeded temporary variable

Raju Lakkaraju (2):
  net: phy: mscc: add ethtool statistics counters
  net: phy: mscc: Add EEE init sequence

 drivers/net/phy/mscc.c | 360 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++---------
 1 file changed, 282 insertions(+), 78 deletions(-)

-- 
2.17.1