Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 00/29] at24: remove at24_platform_data

From: Sowmini Varadhan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2018 10:35:08 -0400

Just catching up on this thread, so please excuse any unintentional
misquotes here.

> > > > David: I couldn't find a place in sparc code where any ethernet device
> > > > would be registered, so is there a chance that nobody is using it?
> > >
> > > SPARC uses a true Open Firmware implementation, so it would register
> > > drivers through the CONFIG_OF infrastructure.

correct

> The calls are not even that old, and clearly added intentionally for sparc,
> see commit ba94272d08a7 ("i40e: use eth_platform_get_mac_address()")
> which added the first one.

Yes, correct again. Wouldn't PPC also end up doing the same thing?

See also commit c762dff24c06 (for ixgbe) - without this fix sparc systems
will come up with a bogus mac address and then you end up having to
manually fix this in ugly ways.

--Sowmini

______________________________________________________
Linux MTD discussion mailing list
http://lists.infradead.org/mailman/listinfo/linux-mtd/