Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next 11/18] vxlan: Add netif_is_vxlan()

From: Ido Schimmel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2018 22:57:48 +0300

On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 11:57:56AM -0700, Jakub Kicinski wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Oct 2018 17:18:38 +0000, Ido Schimmel wrote:
> > Add the ability to determine whether a netdev is a VxLAN netdev by
> > calling the above mentioned function that checks the netdev's private
> > flags.
> > 
> > This will allow modules to identify netdev events involving a VxLAN
> > netdev and act accordingly. For example, drivers capable of VxLAN
> > offload will need to configure the underlying device when a VxLAN netdev
> > is being enslaved to an offloaded bridge.
> > 
> > Signed-off-by: Ido Schimmel <[email-masked]>
> > Reviewed-by: Petr Machata <[email-masked]>
> 
> Is this preferable over
> 
> !strcmp(netdev->rtnl_link_ops->kind, "vxlan")
> 
> which is what TC offloads do?

Using a flag seemed like the more standard way.

That being said, we considered using net_device_ops instead, given we
are about to run out of available private flags, so I don't mind
adopting a technique already employed by another driver.

P.S. Had to Cc netdev again. I think your client somehow messed the Cc
list? I see Cc list in your reply, but with back slashes at the end of
two email addresses.