Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 00/17] octeontx2-af: NPC parser and NIX blocks initialization

From: Andrew Lunn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2018 17:47:13 +0200

> I fear that setting a precedent of using the mbox for user-level
> configuration management would mean that we would have to
> treat each of these interfaces as an ABI, which in turn requires
> much deeper review as well as raising the fundamental question
> on how this should be done across drivers. The mailbox interface
> seem inherently nonportable to other hardware here, which is
> a significant downside.

Hi Arnd

You might want to go look at the Freescale DPAA2. They also want to
add an ioctl to pass binary blob commands to their firmware. The
patches were re-posted recently.

https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/10/5/873

When this was first posted, i strongly argued against it.
You also commented about this:

https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/3/24/29

We need to consistent here. I think it is a bad idea.

   Andrew