Subject: Re: [PATCH] Fix ss Netid column and Local/Peer_Address

From: Stefano Brivio <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2018 23:03:07 +0100

On Mon, 29 Oct 2018 21:06:35 +0100
"Yoann P." <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > By the way, why do you use column(1), when ss already prints output in
> > columns? Any other issue you are working around?  
>
> column can hide columns with "-H -" and is a bit faster than awk to output a 
> single column according to time, it's the only reason I mentioned it.

Okay, but why do you need to hide some columns in the first place? I'm
wondering if your use case would justify adding options to print
selected columns only, in a generic way (right now, you can only
disable some).

Another possibility would be to rename "Local Address:" to "Local:" and
"Peer Address:" to "Peer:" -- in some cases (UNIX sockets) it's already
not so much of an address, more of a path, and "Address" doesn't really
add value when the field contains an address.

I don't like too much "Local_Address:" and "Peer_Address:" as the
output is supposed to be human-readable by default, and that underscore
just doesn't fit.

-- 
Stefano