Subject: Re: [BUG] MVPP2 driver exploding in presence of a tap interface

From: Thomas Petazzoni <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2018 14:00:56 +0100

Hello Marcin,

Thanks for the feedback.

On Tue, 30 Oct 2018 13:37:37 +0100, Marcin Wojtas wrote:

> You use _really_ archaic firmware, the bug you see is 99% caused by a
> bug already fixed long time ago (cleanup all PP2 BM pools correctly
> during exit boot services). Please grab the latest release:
> https://github.com/MarvellEmbeddedProcessors/edk2-open-platform/wiki/files/flash-image-18.09.4.bin
> and let know if you observe any further issues with vanilla kernel.

Even if this was a bug in the UEFI firmware, shouldn't the kernel be
independent from that, by doing a proper reset/reinit of the HW ?

I.e, isn't the firmware fix papering over a bug that should be fixed in
Linux mvpp2 driver anyway ?

Best regards,

Thomas
-- 
Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Bootlin
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering
https://bootlin.com