Subject: Re: [RFC PATCH 4/4] ixgbe: add support for extended PHC gettime

From: Miroslav Lichvar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2018 15:49:35 +0100

On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 07:40:03AM -0700, Richard Cochran wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 02:31:09PM +0100, Miroslav Lichvar wrote:
> > I think there could be a flag in ptp_system_timestamp, or a parameter
> > of gettimex64(), which would enable/disable reading of the system
> > clock.
> 
> I'm not a fan of functions that change their behavior based on flags
> in their input parameters.

How about separating the PHC timestamp from the ptp_system_timestamp
structure and use NULL to indicate we don't want to read the system
clock? A gettimex64(ptp, ts, NULL) call would be equal to
gettime64(ptp, ts).

struct ptp_system_timestamp {
	struct timespec64 pre_ts;
	struct timespec64 post_ts;
};

int (*gettimex64)(struct ptp_clock_info *ptp, struct timespec64 *ts,
		  struct ptp_system_timestamp *sts);

-- 
Miroslav Lichvar