Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next 1/3] devlink: Add fw_version_check generic parameter

From: Ido Schimmel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2018 22:37:51 +0200

On Tue, Nov 06, 2018 at 12:19:13PM -0800, Jakub Kicinski wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Nov 2018 20:05:00 +0000, Ido Schimmel wrote:
> > From: Shalom Toledo <[email-masked]>
> > 
> > Many drivers checking the device's firmware version during the
> > initialization flow and flashing a compatible version if the current
> > version is not.
> > 
> > fw_version_check gives the ability to skip this check which allows to run
> > the device with a different firmware version than required by the driver
> > for testing and/or debugging purposes.
> > 
> > Signed-off-by: Shalom Toledo <[email-masked]>
> > Reviewed-by: Jiri Pirko <[email-masked]>
> > Signed-off-by: Ido Schimmel <[email-masked]>
> 
> The documentation is missing, so it's hard to comment on the definition
> of the parameter...  

I assume you mean Documentation/networking/devlink-params.txt ?

> We have a FW loading policy for NFP, too, so it'd be good to see if we
> can find a common ground.

If the parameter is set, then device runs with whatever firmware version
was last flashed (via ethtool, for example). Otherwise, the driver will
flash a version according to its policy. In mlxsw, it is a specific
version.

Will that work for you?