Subject: Re: bring back IPX and NCPFS, please!

From: Willy Tarreau <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2018 17:09:03 +0100

On Fri, Nov 09, 2018 at 02:23:27PM +0100, Johannes C. Schulz wrote:
> Hello all!
> 
> I like to please you to bring back IPX and NCPFS modules to the kernel.
> Whyever my admins using Novell-shares on our network which I'm not be
> able to use anymore - I'm forced to use cifs instead (and the admins
> will kill the cifs-shares in some time), because my kernel (4.18) does
> not have support for ncpfs anymore.
> Maybe we at my work are not enough people that just for us this
> modules will come back, but maybe out there are other people.
> Thank you.

Well, like any code, it requires time and skills. If nobody with the
required skills is available for this anymore, there's no way you'll
get a feature back. However you could always step up to maintain it
yourself if you have the time and are willing to develop your own
skills at it. It's how maintainers change over time for certain parts
of the system, so you have an opportunity here.

Just my two cents,
Willy