Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next,v3 00/12] add flow_rule infrastructure

From: Marcelo Ricardo Leitner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2018 19:08:32 -0200

On Thu, Nov 22, 2018 at 02:22:20PM -0200, Marcelo Ricardo Leitner wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 21, 2018 at 03:51:20AM +0100, Pablo Neira Ayuso wrote:
> > Hi,
> > 
> > This patchset is the third iteration [1] [2] [3] to introduce a kernel
> > intermediate (IR) to express ACL hardware offloads.
> 
> On v2 cover letter you had:
> 
> """
> However, cost of this layer is very small, adding 1 million rules via
> tc -batch, perf shows:
> 
>      0.06%  tc               [kernel.vmlinux]    [k] tc_setup_flow_action
> """
> 
> The above doesn't include time spent on children calls and I'm worried
> about the new allocation done by flow_rule_alloc(), as it can impact
> rule insertion rate. I'll run some tests here and report back.

I'm seeing +60ms on 1.75s (~3.4%) to add 40k flower rules on ingress
with skip_hw and tc in batch mode, with flows like:

filter add dev p6p2 parent ffff: protocol ip prio 1 flower skip_hw
src_mac ec:13:db:00:00:00 dst_mac ec:14:c2:00:00:00 src_ip
56.0.0.0 dst_ip 55.0.0.0 action drop

Only 20ms out of those 60ms were consumed within fl_change() calls
(considering children calls), though.

Do you see something similar?  I used current net-next (d59da3fbfe3f)
and with this patchset applied.