Subject: Re: [PATCH V2] net: dsa: ksz: Add reset GPIO handling

From: Andrew Lunn <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2018 15:37:55 +0100

On Mon, Dec 10, 2018 at 02:26:51PM +0100, Marek Vasut wrote:
> On 12/08/2018 12:11 PM, Andrew Lunn wrote:
> >> This actually is an individual patch, it doesn't depend on anything.
> >> Or do you mean a series with the DT documentation change ?
> > 
> > Yes, i mean together with the DT documentation change. Those two
> > belong together, they are one functional change.
> 
> Fine
> 
> > Part of this is also to do with scalability. It takes less effort to
> > merge one patchset of two patches, as two individual patches. The
> > truth is, developer time is cheap, maintainer time is expensive
> 
> This is _not_ fine and I am actually offended by this statement.
> The way I read this is that maintainer time has more value than
> developer time, which justifies spending the developer time by
> maintainers without having any appreciation for it. I hope I am
> misreading your statement ?

Hi Marek

Sorry, i was not meaning to be offence. But it is part of the
economics of the Linux Kernel. There are many more developers than
maintainers. There are lots of studies over the years which suggests
there are not enough maintainers, and those maintainers we have are
overloaded. So the development process is based towards making the
maintainer role easier, by asking the developers to do a bit more
work. Writing easy to review patchsets, adding reviewed by tags to new
versions of patches, including a summary of changes between each
version, meaningful patchset, etc. Much of that is to make the
reviewers job, who are mostly maintainers, easier. And to make the job
of people like David, who does the actually merge, easier, scalable to
the number of patches he needs to work on every day.

    Andrew