Subject: Re: dsa: how to set external PHY address of slave MDIO bus

From: Andrew Lunn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2018 10:56:32 +0100

On Thu, Dec 20, 2018 at 08:26:56PM -0500, John Rama wrote:
> Hi, Guys, 
> 
> I have one question. I'm working following configuration, and implementing a device driver.
> Basically, port 1-7 is working fine. I'm now having problem on port8.
> 
> - System                                                       
>   - i.MX6 and Marvel 88q5050 Switch(PHY addr is 0x10)          
>   - port1-5 has integrated PHY
>   - port7 is connected to Marvel 88e1510 PHY(PHY addr is 0x1)  
>   - port8 is connected to Marvel 88e1510 PHY(PHY addr is 0x0), 
>     but it's the slave of MDIO bus whose master is the switch. 
>                                                                
>                            0x10                                
>     +------------+         +-----------------+                 
>     |            |         | Marvel 88q5050  |                 
>     |            | RGMII   |           port1 |                 
>     |   IMX6     +---------+ port6           |                 
>     |            |         |           port2 |                 
>     |            | MDIO    |                 |                 
>     |            +-+-------+           port3 |                 
>     |            | |       |                 |                 
>     +------------+ |       |           port4 |                 
>                    |       |                 |                 
>                  +-+-+     |           port5 |     +---+       
>                  |   |SGMII|                 |RGMII|   |       
>                  |PHY|-----| port7     port8 +-----+PHY+       
>                  |   |     |                 |MDIO |   |       
>                  +---+     |                 +-----+   |       
>             Marvel 88e1510 +-----------------+     +---+       
>                  0x1                           Marvel 88e1510  
>                                                     0x0        
> 
> - Question
> In the system above, how should we tell DSA driver the PHY address of the PHY which is connected to port8 ?

Hi John

Use a phy-handle in the port properties.

    Andrew