Subject: [PATCH iproute2-next 0/3] Improve batch times by caching link lookups

From: David Ahern <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2019 14:55:49 -0800

From: David Ahern <[email-masked]>

Many commands convert device names to an index using ll_name_to_index.
ll_name_to_index calls if_nametoindex which is ioctl based and the
result is not cached. When using a batch file this means the same device
lookups can be done repeatedly adding unnecessary overhead
(socket + ioctl + close for each device lookup).

This series adds a new function, ll_link_get, to send a netlink based
RTM_GETLINK. If successful, the result is cached in idx_head and name_head
so future lookups can re-use the entry. ll_name_to_index is updated to use
ll_link_get over if_nametoindex.

The first 2 patches add a means to drop an entry from the cache and updates
iplink_modify to use that new function to drop entries on device renames.

David Ahern (3):
  ll_map: Add function to remove link cache entry by index
  ip link: Drop cache entry on name changes
  Improve batch times by caching link lookups

 include/ll_map.h  |  1 +
 ip/ip_common.h    |  3 ++-
 ip/iplink.c       | 10 ++++++++--
 ip/iplink_vxcan.c |  3 ++-
 ip/link_veth.c    |  3 ++-
 lib/ll_map.c      | 58 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++-
 6 files changed, 72 insertions(+), 6 deletions(-)

-- 
2.11.0