Subject: [PATCHv2 0/4]: net: dsa: mt7530: support MT7530 in the MT7621 So

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2019 17:03:30 +1000

This is the second version of a patch series supporting the MT7530
switch as used in the MediaTek MT7621 SoC. Unlike the MediaTek MT7623
the MT7621 is built around a dual core MIPS CPU architecture. But
inside it uses basically the same 7530 switch.

These patches resolves all issues I had with version 1, and I can now
reliably use the driver on a 7621 SoC platform. These patches were
generated against linux-5.0-rc2.

The first 2 patches are new to the series and enable support for the
existing kernel mediatek ethernet driver on the MT7621 SoC. This support
is from Bjørn Mork, with an update and fix by me. Using this driver
fixed a number of problems I had (TX checksums, large RX packet drop)
over the staging driver (drivers/staging/mt7621-eth).

Patch 3 modifies the mt7530 DSA driver to support the 7530 switch as
implemented in the Mediatek MT7621 SoC. The last patch updates the
devicetree bindings to reflect the new support in the mt7530 driver.

Creating a new binding for the MT7621 seems like the only viable approach
to distinguish between a stand alone 7530 switch, the silicon module
in the MT7623 SoC and the silicon in the MT7621. Certainly the 7530 ID
register in the MT7623 and MT7621 returns the same value, "0x7530001".

Looking at the mt7530.c DSA driver it might make seom sense to convert
the existing "mediatek,mcm" binding to something like "mediatek,mt7623"
to be consistent with this new MT7621 support. As far as I can tell
this is the intention of this binding.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated...

 Documentation/devicetree/bindings/net/dsa/mt7530.txt |    3
 drivers/net/dsa/mt7530.c                             |   97 +++++++++++--------
 drivers/net/dsa/mt7530.h                             |    9 +
 drivers/net/ethernet/mediatek/Kconfig                |    2
 drivers/net/ethernet/mediatek/mtk_eth_soc.c          |   49 ++++++++-
 drivers/net/ethernet/mediatek/mtk_eth_soc.h          |    4
 6 files changed, 115 insertions(+), 49 deletions(-)

v1: initial patch series
v2: rebase to linux-5.0-rc2
    include mediatek ethernet driver changes
    change to use devicetree binding to idenify platform