Subject: Re: [net-next PATCH] MAINTAINERS: Add entry for XDP core code

From: Jesper Dangaard Brouer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2019 15:44:05 +0100

On Fri, 25 Jan 2019 23:10:51 +0100
Daniel Borkmann <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi Jesper,
> 
> On 01/25/2019 01:02 PM, Jesper Dangaard Brouer wrote:
> > Add myself as a maintainer for these parts, as I'm responsible
> > for adding most of this.
> > 
> > Signed-off-by: Jesper Dangaard Brouer <[email-masked]>
> > ---
> >  MAINTAINERS |    9 +++++++++
> >  1 file changed, 9 insertions(+)
> > 
> > diff --git a/MAINTAINERS b/MAINTAINERS
> > index a0245fd1b09a..f66297853df7 100644
> > --- a/MAINTAINERS
> > +++ b/MAINTAINERS
> > @@ -16686,6 +16686,15 @@ T:	git git://linuxtv.org/media_tree.git
> >  S:	Maintained
> >  F:	drivers/media/tuners/tuner-xc2028.*
> >  
> > +XDP  
> 
> Hm, I think this may be a bit misleading, XDP 'core' bits that are
> needed for XDP base operation are spread into many more places than
> just the ones listed below like net/core/dev.c, net/core/rtnetlink.c,
> net/core/filter.c to name a few,

It would likely be misleading to include those files, as they contain a
lot of other stuff.  I would like to get Cc noticed if some of the
parts related to XDP change.  I'm unsure of the effect on
get_maintainer.pl if a file is added in several entries?

> then obviously drivers themselves,

I would like to get Cc notified on drivers adding XDP or changing XDP
support.  I did miss reviewing an ARM driver (before it got applied)
getting XDP support, but it doesn't implement the correct memory model,
which will break if they implement XDP_REDIRECT (which the driver
"fortunately" doesn't).  I do want to catch these cases, but it is
unrealistic to add all the driver files to this entry.

> and also there's net/xdp/ etc.

Notice the next entry "XDP SOCKETS (AF_XDP)" covers net/xdp/. 

> Depending on what you mean, it might
> make it probably more clear to split this into specific sub-topics
> like below XDP SOCKETS, e.g. XDP CPUMAP, XDP PAGE POOL or such for
> expert review,

The target files I choose to include, are primarily target for the
"XDP REDIRECT" feature.  So, I you don't feel comfortable with a too
wide catch-all XDP, then I propose to rename it to "XDP REDIRECT".

>  or if this should be some sort of catch-all (?)

I'm 100% ready to signup for a larger commitment to XDP in general.
So, I don't have a problem with this being a catch-all for XDP.

I have big plans for XDP this year.  Red Hat have hired more resources
(Toke), and Linaro is also participating (Ilias).  We are going to do
project management and design docs 100% in the open via github[1].

[1] https://github.com/xdp-project

> underneath general networking entry, then this should more accurately
> reflect core code so reviewers are properly Cc'ed on all the pieces
> if someone runs get_maintainer.pl to get a Cc list ...

The main purpose of this patch is exactly to get selected as Cc when
someone uses get_maintainer.pl. (e.g. today I'm not listed for
include/net/xdp.h, even-though I wrote 80% of that file).

> maybe also makes sense to add other XDP contributors as well.

I would love to see more XDP contributors to signup and be listed under
this entry.

> > +M:	Jesper Dangaard Brouer <[email-masked]>
> > +L:	[email-masked]
> > +L:	[email-masked]
> > +F:	net/core/xdp.c
> > +F:	include/net/xdp.h
> > +F:	kernel/bpf/devmap.c
> > +F:	kernel/bpf/cpumap.c
> > +
> >  XDP SOCKETS (AF_XDP)
> >  M:	Björn Töpel <[email-masked]>
> >  M:	Magnus Karlsson <[email-masked]>

Another reason for this patch was that I noticed Bjørn and Magnus had
an entry, so I though I should also signup to take some responsibility.

-- 
Best regards,
  Jesper Dangaard Brouer
  MSc.CS, Principal Kernel Engineer at Red Hat
  LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/brouer