Subject: Re: [PATCH iproute2-next] Introduce ip-brctl shell script

From: Stefano Brivio <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2019 13:46:53 +0100

On Wed, 30 Jan 2019 22:12:45 -0700
David Ahern <[email-masked]> wrote:

> This is a convenience wrapper around commands packaged in iproute2. If
> iproute2 adds this wrapper, it will have to carry it and maintain it
> forever. Distributions (Fedora, RHEL, Debian, etc) may see it
> differently and decide to add this patch onto iproute2 that they
> distribute as a means for dropping bridge-utils. That's a reasonable
> migration choice. It is just not something upstream iproute2 should carry.

I see what you mean now, I didn't think of that. Sure, that also
sounds reasonable.

I still think this wrapper would require basically zero maintenance,
and carrying it would outweigh the burden at large -- and we could also
use it as a tool to get users familiar with ip-link and 'bridge' by
printing the equivalent syntax before executing the commands.

Anyway, I'll inform downstream maintainers about this option.

-- 
Stefano