Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] net: dsa: mv88e6xxx: Revise irq setup ordering

From: Andrew Lunn <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2019 03:21:49 +0100

> The problem is INTn can go low before the interrupt handler for it is
> registered and enabled.

> This can't happen.  The domain is setup immediately after registering
> the GPIO interrupt.
> The interrupt can't fire until one of the enables is set.

These two statement seem to contradict each other?

> These are set
> by mv88e6xxx_g2_irq_setup(),
> mv88e6xxx_g1_atu_prob_irq_setup() and
> mv88e6xxx_g1_vtu_prob_irq_setup().  These irqs
> are setup after mv88e6xxx_g1_irq_setup()/mv88e6xxx_irq_poll_setup() is
> called.  Thus, the
> irq domain is setup before the GPIO interrupt can fire.

At what point is INTn going low, causing you all these problems? I've
yet to see a real description of the race. Please give us a blow by
blow of how the race happens. And then explain how your fix actually
fixes this.

Also, i'm not yet convinced this hardware can actually work correctly
with edge interrupts. You can probably reduce the size of the race
window, but i don't think you can eliminate it. And if you cannot
eliminate it, at some point it is going to hit you.

     Andrew