Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next 4/8] devlink: allow subports on devlink PCI ports

From: Jiri Pirko <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2019 14:32:09 +0100

Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at 09:56:24AM CET, [email-masked] wrote:

[...]

>>devlink instance).  Those less pipelined NICs can forward between
>>ports, but still want a function per port (otherwise user space
>>sometimes gets confused).  If we have multiple functions which are on
>>the same "switchid" they should have a single devlink instance if you
>>ask me.  That instance will have all the ports of the device.
>
>Okay, that makes sense. But the question it, can the same devlink
>instance contain ports that does not have "Switchid"?
>
>I think it would be beneficial to have the switchid shown for devlink
>ports too. Then it is clean that the devlink ports with the same
>switchid belong to the same switch, and other ports under the same
>devlink instance (like PF itself) is separate, but still under the same
>ASIC.

Working on this. Will sent patchset later today/tmrw.

[...]