Subject: Re: [RFC net-next 8/8] net/mlx5: Add subdev driver to bind to subdev devices

From: Greg KH <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2019 08:21:58 +0100

On Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at 11:37:52PM -0600, Parav Pandit wrote:
> Add a subdev driver to probe the subdev devices and create fake
> netdevice for it.

So I'm guessing here is the "meat" of the whole goal here?

You just want multiple netdevices per PCI device?  Why can't you do that
today in your PCI driver?

What problem are you trying to solve that others also are having that
requires all of this?

Adding a new bus type and subsystem is fine, but usually we want more
than just one user of it, as this does not really show how it is
exercised very well.  Ideally 3 users would be there as that is when it
proves itself that it is flexible enough.

Would just using the mfd subsystem work better for you?  That provides
core support for "multi-function" drivers/devices already.  What is
missing from that subsystem that does not work for you here?

thanks,

greg k-h