Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next v3] net: dsa: mv88e6xxx: Prevent suspend to RAM

From: Miquel Raynal <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2019 09:06:43 +0200

Hi Pavel,

Pavel Machek <[email-masked]> wrote on Mon, 8 Apr 2019 23:55:41 +0200:

> On Tue 2019-02-05 12:07:28, Miquel Raynal wrote:
> > On one hand, the mv88e6xxx driver has a work queue called in loop
> > which will attempt register accesses after MDIO bus suspension, that
> > entirely freezes the platform during suspend.
> > 
> > On the other hand, the DSA core is not ready yet to support suspend to
> > RAM operation because so far there is no way to recover reliably the
> > switch configuration.
> > 
> > To avoid the kernel to freeze when suspending with a switch driven by
> > the mv88e6xxx driver, we choose to prevent the driver suspension and
> > in the same way, the whole platform.
> > 
> > Signed-off-by: Miquel Raynal <[email-masked]>  
> 
> Could we at least do printk() so that user knows what went wrong?
> 
> Debugging s2ram is usually not easy :-(.

I suppose you will be told that suspend was refused by a driver
(probably without stating which one though). You may send a patch to add
a trace if you think it is important, as this change as already been
merged.

Thanks,
Miquèl