Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 00/17] net: introduce Qualcomm IPA driver

From: Bjorn Andersson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2019 16:27:46 -0700

On Fri 31 May 12:19 PDT 2019, Arnd Bergmann wrote:

> On Fri, May 31, 2019 at 6:36 PM Alex Elder <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > On 5/31/19 9:58 AM, Dan Williams wrote:
> > > On Thu, 2019-05-30 at 22:53 -0500, Alex Elder wrote:
[..]
> > So basically, the purpose of the rmnet driver is to handle QMAP
> > protocol connections, and right now that's what the modem provides.
> 
> Do you have any idea why this particular design was picked?
> 

>From what I've seen of QMAP it seems like a reasonable design choice to
have a software component (rmnet) dealing with this, separate from the
transport. And I think IPA is the 4th or 5th mechanism for transporting
QMAP packets back and forth to the modem.

Downstream rmnet is copyright 2007-, and I know of interest in bringing
at least one of the other transports upstream.

Regards,
Bjorn