Subject: Re: [PATCH net 1/2] ipv6: Dump route exceptions too in rt6_dump_route()

From: Stefano Brivio <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2019 03:54:16 +0200

On Thu, 6 Jun 2019 16:48:51 -0600
David Ahern <[email-masked]> wrote:

> On 6/6/19 4:37 PM, Martin Lau wrote:
> >> I don't think that can happen in practice, or at least I haven't found a
> >> way to create enough valid exceptions for the same node.  
> > That I am not sure.  It is not unusual to have many pmtu exceptions in
> > a gateway node.
> >   
> 
> yes.
> 
> Stefano: you could generalize this test script
>    http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/1110802/
> to have N-remote hosts

Right, thanks for the pointer. I ended up doing something like that in
pmtu.sh, and it turns out that, starting from 25 exceptions in the same
node, iproute2 doesn't actually retry with a larger buffer. As Martin
predicted (thanks!) the dump doesn't terminate.

I tested a version that counts the number of routes in a partial dump
and skips them on the next one with 10,000 entries, dump terminates and
entries count is consistent (at some point, the buckets are just full,
and number of entries doesn't increase any longer).

Unfortunately, the setup of the test takes a few minutes, so I wouldn't
include it (at least as it is) in the selftest.

I'll post that as v2 soon.

-- 
Stefano