Subject: [PATCH bpf-next 0/9] bpf: bounded loops and other features

From: Alexei Starovoitov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2019 21:47:29 -0700

Hi,

this patch set introduces verifier support for bounded loops and
adds several other improvements.
Ideally they would be introduced one at a time,
but to support bounded loop the verifier needs to 'step back'
in the patch 1. That patch introduces tracking of spill/fill
of constants through the stack. Though it's a useful feature
it hurts cilium tests.
Patch 3 introduces another feature by extending is_branch_taken
logic to 'if rX op rY' conditions. This feature is also
necessary to support bounded loops.
Then patch 4 adds support for the loops while adding
key heuristics with jmp_processed.
Introduction of parentage chain of verifier states in patch 4
allows patch 9 to add backtracking of precise scalar registers
which finally resolves degradation from patch 1.

The end result is much faster verifier for existing programs
and new support for loops.
See patch 8 for many kinds of loops that are now validated.
Patch 9 is the most tricky one and could be rewritten with
a different algorithm in the future.

Alexei Starovoitov (9):
  bpf: track spill/fill of constants
  selftests/bpf: fix tests due to const spill/fill
  bpf: extend is_branch_taken to registers
  bpf: introduce bounded loops
  bpf: fix callees pruning callers
  selftests/bpf: fix tests
  selftests/bpf: add basic verifier tests for loops
  selftests/bpf: add realistic loop tests
  bpf: precise scalar_value tracking

 include/linux/bpf_verifier.h                  |  69 +-
 kernel/bpf/verifier.c                         | 688 ++++++++++++++++--
 .../bpf/prog_tests/bpf_verif_scale.c          |  67 +-
 tools/testing/selftests/bpf/progs/loop1.c     |  28 +
 tools/testing/selftests/bpf/progs/loop2.c     |  28 +
 tools/testing/selftests/bpf/progs/loop3.c     |  22 +
 tools/testing/selftests/bpf/progs/pyperf.h    |   6 +-
 tools/testing/selftests/bpf/progs/pyperf600.c |   9 +
 .../selftests/bpf/progs/pyperf600_nounroll.c  |   8 +
 .../testing/selftests/bpf/progs/strobemeta.c  |  10 +
 .../testing/selftests/bpf/progs/strobemeta.h  | 528 ++++++++++++++
 .../bpf/progs/strobemeta_nounroll1.c          |   9 +
 .../bpf/progs/strobemeta_nounroll2.c          |   9 +
 .../selftests/bpf/progs/test_seg6_loop.c      | 261 +++++++
 .../selftests/bpf/progs/test_sysctl_loop1.c   |  68 ++
 .../selftests/bpf/progs/test_sysctl_loop2.c   |  69 ++
 .../selftests/bpf/progs/test_xdp_loop.c       | 231 ++++++
 tools/testing/selftests/bpf/test_verifier.c   |  11 +-
 tools/testing/selftests/bpf/verifier/calls.c  |  22 +-
 tools/testing/selftests/bpf/verifier/cfg.c    |  11 +-
 .../bpf/verifier/direct_packet_access.c       |   3 +-
 .../bpf/verifier/helper_access_var_len.c      |  28 +-
 tools/testing/selftests/bpf/verifier/loops1.c | 161 ++++
 23 files changed, 2258 insertions(+), 88 deletions(-)
 create mode 100644 tools/testing/selftests/bpf/progs/loop1.c
 create mode 100644 tools/testing/selftests/bpf/progs/loop2.c
 create mode 100644 tools/testing/selftests/bpf/progs/loop3.c
 create mode 100644 tools/testing/selftests/bpf/progs/pyperf600.c
 create mode 100644 tools/testing/selftests/bpf/progs/pyperf600_nounroll.c
 create mode 100644 tools/testing/selftests/bpf/progs/strobemeta.c
 create mode 100644 tools/testing/selftests/bpf/progs/strobemeta.h
 create mode 100644 tools/testing/selftests/bpf/progs/strobemeta_nounroll1.c
 create mode 100644 tools/testing/selftests/bpf/progs/strobemeta_nounroll2.c
 create mode 100644 tools/testing/selftests/bpf/progs/test_seg6_loop.c
 create mode 100644 tools/testing/selftests/bpf/progs/test_sysctl_loop1.c
 create mode 100644 tools/testing/selftests/bpf/progs/test_sysctl_loop2.c
 create mode 100644 tools/testing/selftests/bpf/progs/test_xdp_loop.c
 create mode 100644 tools/testing/selftests/bpf/verifier/loops1.c

-- 
2.20.0