Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next] r8169: fix ntohs/htons sparse warnings

From: Al Viro <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2019 22:13:56 +0100

On Mon, Jul 01, 2019 at 10:36:26PM +0200, Heiner Kallweit wrote:

> > The code dealing with the value passed to __vlan_hwaccel_put_tag() as the
> > third argument treats it as a host-endian integer.  So... Has anyone
> > tested that code on b-e host?  Should that ntohs() actually be swab16(),
> > yielding (on any host) the same value we currently get for l-e hosts only?
> > 
> I haven't seen any b-e host with a Realtek network chip yet.

Ever tried to google for realtek 8169 pcie card?  The first hit is this:
https://www.amazon.com/Realtek-Chipset-Ethernet-Interface-Software/dp/B007MWYCG2
and certainly does look like it should fit into at least some G5 Macs.
What's more, googling for realtek 8169 PCI card brings quite a bit (top
hit happens to be on ebay for ~$8).  That certainly shall fit into
any number of big-endian motherboards...

Sure, there's a plenty of embedded r8169 on motherboards (mostly x86 ones),
but these beasts do exist on discrete cards.  I'm fairly certain that I've
got one or two somewhere in the detritus pile and they are fairly cheap
these days.

So it wouldn't cost too much to put together a mixed network, with
r8169 both on l-e and b-e hosts and play with VLAN setups there...