Subject: [PATCH AUTOSEL 5.1 178/219] igb: clear out skb->tstamp after reading the txtime

From: Sasha Levin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2019 10:02:59 -0400

From: Vedang Patel <[email-masked]>

[ Upstream commit 1e08511d5d01884a3c9070afd52a47799312074a ]

If a packet which is utilizing the launchtime feature (via SO_TXTIME socket
option) also requests the hardware transmit timestamp, the hardware
timestamp is not delivered to the userspace. This is because the value in
skb->tstamp is mistaken as the software timestamp.

Applications, like ptp4l, request a hardware timestamp by setting the
SOF_TIMESTAMPING_TX_HARDWARE socket option. Whenever a new timestamp is
detected by the driver (this work is done in igb_ptp_tx_work() which calls
igb_ptp_tx_hwtstamps() in igb_ptp.c[1]), it will queue the timestamp in the
ERR_QUEUE for the userspace to read. When the userspace is ready, it will
issue a recvmsg() call to collect this timestamp.  The problem is in this
recvmsg() call. If the skb->tstamp is not cleared out, it will be
interpreted as a software timestamp and the hardware tx timestamp will not
be successfully sent to the userspace. Look at skb_is_swtx_tstamp() and the
callee function __sock_recv_timestamp() in net/socket.c for more details.

Signed-off-by: Vedang Patel <[email-masked]>
Tested-by: Aaron Brown <[email-masked]>
Signed-off-by: David S. Miller <[email-masked]>
Signed-off-by: Sasha Levin <[email-masked]>
---
 drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igb/igb_main.c | 1 +
 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+)

diff --git a/drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igb/igb_main.c b/drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igb/igb_main.c
index 580d14b49fda..a725dc709632 100644
--- a/drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igb/igb_main.c
+++ b/drivers/net/ethernet/intel/igb/igb_main.c
@@ -5687,6 +5687,7 @@ static void igb_tx_ctxtdesc(struct igb_ring *tx_ring,
 	 */
 	if (tx_ring->launchtime_enable) {
 		ts = ns_to_timespec64(first->skb->tstamp);
+		first->skb->tstamp = 0;
 		context_desc->seqnum_seed = cpu_to_le32(ts.tv_nsec / 32);
 	} else {
 		context_desc->seqnum_seed = 0;
-- 
2.20.1