Subject: Re: [net] devlink: Add method for time-stamp on reporter's dump

From: Ido Schimmel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2019 20:40:37 +0300

On Thu, Aug 22, 2019 at 04:06:35PM +0200, Andrew Lunn wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 22, 2019 at 11:17:51AM +0300, Aya Levin wrote:
> > When setting the dump's time-stamp, use ktime_get_real in addition to
> > jiffies. This simplifies the user space implementation and bypasses
> > some inconsistent behavior with translating jiffies to current time.
> 
> Hi Aya
> 
> Is this year 2038 safe? I don't know enough about this to answer the
> question myself.

Hi Andrew,

Good point. 'struct timespec' is not considered year 2038 safe and
unfortunately I recently made the mistake of using it to communicate
timestamps to user space over netlink. :/ The code is still in net-next,
so I will fix it while I can.

Arnd, would it be acceptable to use 'struct __kernel_timespec' instead?

Thanks