Subject: [RFC PATCH 0/1] Fix PHYLINK handling of ethtool ksettings with no PHY

From: Vladimir Oltean <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2019 17:58:01 +0300

Logically speaking, this patch pertains to the "Fix issues in tc-taprio
and tc-cbs" series at:
https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/netdev/list/?series=127821&state=*

The reason why I did not submit this patch together with those is that I
don't know whether the error condition can happen in current mainline
Linux at the moment. I am running Arseny's RFC patch "gianfar: convert
to phylink" and have found that __ethtool_get_link_ksettings returns a
speed of 0 instead of SPEED_UNKNOWN when there is no PHY connected.

Gianfar has carried this oddity over from its PHYLIB days, where it
connects "late" to the PHY. I am not sure whether PHYLINK, gianfar, or
both, need to be changed. Comments welcome.

Vladimir Oltean (1):
  phylink: Set speed to SPEED_UNKNOWN when there is no PHY connected

 drivers/net/phy/phylink.c | 1 +
 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+)

-- 
2.17.1