Subject: Re: [PATCH 00/11] Add support for software nodes to gpiolib

From: Dmitry Torokhov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2019 15:44:56 -0700

Hi Linus,

On Mon, Sep 16, 2019 at 05:22:07PM -0700, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 10:55:47AM +0100, Linus Walleij wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 11, 2019 at 8:52 AM Dmitry Torokhov
> > <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > 
> > > If we agree in principle, I would like to have the very first 3 patches
> > > in an immutable branch off maybe -rc8 so that it can be pulled into
> > > individual subsystems so that patches switching various drivers to
> > > fwnode_gpiod_get_index() could be applied.
> > 
> > I think it seems a bit enthusiastic to have non-GPIO subsystems
> > pick up these changes this close to the merge window so my plan
> > is to merge patches 1.2.3 (1 already merged) and then you could
> > massage the other subsystems in v5.4-rc1.
> > 
> > But if other subsystems say "hey we want do fix this in like 3 days"
> > then I'm game for an immutable branch as well.
> 
> No, if it is still has a chance for -rc1 then I'm good. I was thinking
> if it does not go into -rc1 I could convince some of them merge a
> targeted immutable branch off -rc8 or 5.3 final and then apply patches
> relevant to their subsystems so we do not have to wait till 5.6 to land
> everything.

So I guess we missed -rc1. Any chance we could get an immutable branch
off -rc1 that you will pull into your main branch and I hopefully can
persuade other maintainers to pull as well so we do not need to drag it
over 2+ merge windows?

Thanks.

-- 
Dmitry