Subject: Re: [PATCH v2 0/17] staging: qlge: Fix rx stall in case of allocation failures

From: Benjamin Poirier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2019 18:15:45 +0900

On 2019/10/04 10:19, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 27, 2019 at 07:11:54PM +0900, Benjamin Poirier wrote:
[...]
> 
> As this code got moved to staging with the goal to drop it from the
> tree, why are you working on fixing it up?  Do you want it moved back
> out of staging into the "real" part of the tree, or are you just fixing
> things that you find in order to make it cleaner before we delete it?
> 
> confused,
> 

I expected one of two possible outcomes after moving the qlge driver to
staging:
1) it gets the attention of people looking for something to work on and
the driver is improved and submitted for normal inclusion in the future
2) it doesn't get enough attention and the driver is removed

I don't plan to do further work on it and I'm admittedly not holding my
breath for others to rush in but I already had those patches; it wasn't
a big effort to submit them as a first step towards outcome #1.

If #2 is a foregone conclusion, then there's little point in applying
the patches. The only benefit I can think of that if the complete
removal is reverted in the future, this specific problem will at least
be fixed.