Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/4] treewide: Add 'fallthrough' pseudo-keyword

From: Kees Cook <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2019 15:07:58 -0700

On Fri, Oct 11, 2019 at 08:01:42PM +0200, Miguel Ojeda wrote:
> Hi Linus,
> 
> On Fri, Oct 11, 2019 at 6:30 PM Linus Torvalds
> <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, Oct 5, 2019 at 9:46 AM Joe Perches <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Add 'fallthrough' pseudo-keyword to enable the removal of comments
> > > like '/* fallthrough */'.
> >
> > I applied patches 1-3 to my tree just to make it easier for people to
> > start doing this. Maybe some people want to do the conversion on their
> > own subsystem rather than with a global script, but even if not, this
> > looks better as a "prepare for the future" series and I feel that if
> > we're doing the "fallthrough" thing eventually, the sooner we do the
> > prepwork the better.
> >
> > I'm a tiny bit worried that the actual conversion is just going to
> > cause lots of pain for the stable people, but I'll not worry about it
> > _too_ much. If the stable people decide that it's too painful for them
> > to deal with the comment vs keyword model, they may want to backport
> > these three patches too.
> 
> I was waiting for a v2 series to pick it up given we had some pending changes...

Hmpf, looks like it's in torvalds/master now. Miguel, most of the changes
were related to the commit log, IIRC, so that ship has sailed. :( Can the
stuff in Documentation/ be improved with a follow-up patch, perhaps?

-- 
Kees Cook