Subject: Re: [PATCH net-next 1/2] net: phy: add core phylib sfp support

From: Russell King - ARM Linux admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2019 15:52:47 +0000

On Mon, Nov 11, 2019 at 09:01:22AM -0600, Rob Herring wrote:
> The dependencies are all documented in writing-schema.rst (formerly
> .md) in the 'Dependencies' section.
> 
> TL;DR: pip3 install git+https://github.com/devicetree-org/dt-schema.git@master

I've mentioned it in a few IRC forums, and it seems that I'm not the
only one who has trouble with this - so, this DT schema stuff totally
fails the "keep it simple" approach, which is bad news if you want
people to use it.  It's a blocker when you have to do something with
these .yaml files - or take the approach that you'd write something
that looks write and hope that someone else checks it.

So, to help people, please consider adding to that section information
such as:

8<====
For debian stable (buster), you will need to install:

 - python3-pip

for the pip3 tool.

You do not need other python3 packages, as the pip3 tool will install
the latest versions of any dependent packages into your ~/.local
directory. However, note that these will not be kept up to date by
your distribution.
8<====

It may be useful if the instructions for other distros are also added.

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTC broadband for 0.8mile line in suburbia: sync at 12.1Mbps down 622kbps up
According to speedtest.net: 11.9Mbps down 500kbps up