Subject: Re: [RFC PATCH v2 3/8] net: phylink: call mac_an_restart for SGMII/QSGMII inband interfaces too

From: Russell King - ARM Linux admin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2019 23:25:15 +0000

On Wed, Dec 18, 2019 at 12:18:26AM +0200, Vladimir Oltean wrote:
> From: Vladimir Oltean <[email-masked]>
> 
> It doesn't quite make sense why restarting the AN process should be
> unique to 802.3z (1000Base-X) modes. It is valid to put an SGMII PCS in
> in-band AN mode, therefore also make PHYLINK re-trigger an
> auto-negotiation if needed.

The question I'd ask is how is that actually achieved on the link?

It makes sense for 1000base-X because either end can drop the ACK bit
to cause a renegotiation to occur, but it makes no sense for SGMII.

In SGMII:
1) there is no advertisement from the MAC to the PHY
2) the PHY is merely informing the MAC of the results of negotiation

Attempting to trigger a renegotiation at the MAC end does nothing
useful for SGMII, it doesn't cause the PHY to renegotiate with its
link partner.

The whole point of SGMII over 1000base-X is that the PHY informs the
MAC using in-band signalling what the results of negotiation were on
the media side of the PHY. SGMII provides no way to control the
advertisement.

-- 
RMK's Patch system: https://www.armlinux.org.uk/developer/patches/
FTTC broadband for 0.8mile line in suburbia: sync at 12.1Mbps down 622kbps up
According to speedtest.net: 11.9Mbps down 500kbps up